What we do
Every working day, week, and year, we’re serving Washington residents. We:
- provide information to law enforcement,
- license and regulate drivers,
- register vehicles and vessels,
- manage over 44 professional and business licensing programs,
- ensure the fair and efficient collection of state revenue.
For a quick look at what we do each year, see:
Every working day, we:
- Issue about 1,000 original driver licenses and about 3,300 driver license renewals.
- Renew the registration of more than 26,000 vehicles
- Process more than 2,500 original vehicle titles.
- Respond to nearly 1,700 phone calls and about 200 e-mails from customers about vehicle and driver licensing
- Issue or replace over 6,700 license plates.
- Process nearly 5,000 address changes for driver licenses and vehicles, including over 2,000 online.
Every week, we:
- Sell nearly 49,000 driving records, and send about 330,000 notifications to customers about changes to monitored driving records.
- Issue more than 1,100 enhanced driver licenses.
- Process over 38,000 driver license, ID card and tab renewals over the Internet.
- Record over 6,200 driver license suspensions, revocations, cancellations, and disqualifications.
- Process about 22,000 traffic violations and accident reports.
- Receive over 41,000 professional license status searches over the Internet.
- Receive over 1,500 Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings, and support over 3,200 UCC searches.
- Process over 12,000 vehicle reports of sale, including about 8,400 reports over the Internet.
Every year, we:
- Collect over $2.7 billion in gross revenue.
- Issue about 6.5 million vehicle tab renewal notices, including over 500,000 by email.
- Process about 11,000 International Registration Plan applications, and collect over $37 million in fees.
- Process over 25,000 fuel tax returns, and collect about $1.26 billion in fuel tax revenue.
- Issue or update nearly 50,000 vessel titles.
- Register more than 234,000 vessels.
- Manage about 256,000 professional licenses for individuals and businesses.
- Issue nearly 9,200 ignition interlock & occupational restricted licenses (hardship licenses).
- Issue, replace, or renew nearly 34,000 special design license plates and about 16,000 personalized plates.
- Process nearly 13,000 driver hearings and interviews.
- Issue over 600 original vehicle dealer licenses, and renew over 3,400 vehicle dealer licenses.
- Process almost 76,000 destroyed vehicle reports, including over 63,000 over the Internet.
- Issue or renew over 223,000 permanent and temporary disabled parking placards.
- Support over 1.6 million firearms database inquiries from law enforcement.
- Issue over 22,000 professional licenses to individuals and businesses, and renew over 110,000.
- Process nearly 15,000 fuel tax refunds, totaling over $65.5 million.