What we do
Every working day, week, and year, we’re serving Washington residents. We:
- Provide information to law enforcement.
- License and regulate drivers.
- Register vehicles and vessels.
- Manage over 44 professional and business licensing programs.
- Ensure the fair and efficient collection of state revenue
For a quick look at what we do each year, see:
Every working day, we:
- Issue over 1,100 original driver licenses and over 3,400 driver license renewals.
- Renew the registration of more than 27,000 vehicles.
- Process more than 2,700 original vehicle titles.
- Respond to nearly 1,600 phone calls and over 175 e-mails from customers about vehicle and driver licensing.
- Issue or replace nearly 6,900 license plates.
- Process nearly 5,000 address changes for driver licenses and vehicles, including over 2,200 online.
Every week, we:
- Sell nearly 48,000 driving records, and send nearly 339,000 notifications to customers about changes to monitored driving records.
- Issue nearly 1,100 enhanced driver licenses.
- Process over 41,000 driver license, ID card, and tab renewals over the Internet.
- Record over 4,700 driver license suspensions, revocations, cancellations, and disqualifications.
- Process about 26,500 traffic violations and accident reports.
- Receive over 21,500 professional license status searches over the Internet.
- Receive over 1,500 Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings, and support over 3,200 UCC searches.
- Process nearly 12,000 vehicle reports of sale, including over 8,600 reports over the Internet.
Every year, we:
- Collect over $2.7 billion in gross revenue.
- Issue about 6.6 million vehicle tab renewal notices, including over 610,000 by e-mail.
- Process about 11,300 International Registration Plan applications, and collect over $41 million in fees.
- Process nearly 26,000 fuel tax returns, and collect about $1.27 billion in fuel tax revenue.
- Issue or update over 50,000 vessel titles.
- Register more than 232,000 vessels.
- Manage about 261,000 professional licenses for individuals and businesses.
- Issue nearly 9,300 ignition interlock & occupational restricted licenses (hardship licenses).
- Issue, replace, or renew over 44,000 special design license plates and about 17,000 personalized plates.
- Process about 11,500 driver hearings and interviews.
- Issue over 800 original vehicle dealer licenses, and renew over 3,700 vehicle dealer licenses.
- Process over 82,000 destroyed vehicle reports, including nearly 70,000 over the Internet.
- Issue or renew over 222,000 permanent and temporary disabled parking placards.
- Support over 1.45 million firearms database inquiries from law enforcement.
- Issue over 25,000 professional licenses to individuals and businesses, and renew over 106,000.
- Process nearly 14,500 fuel tax refunds, totaling over $60 million.