State-certified residential real estate appraiser
Things to know
Counter services closed on January 1, 2016.
- You can still mail applications and forms or use our online services where available.
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
- If you still have questions call 360.664.6504 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education and experience requirements
To be eligible to become a state-certified residential real estate appraiser, you must meet all of the following education and experience requirements.
There’s no specific order required to gain this education and experience. After you have completed these requirements, you’re eligible to take the state-certified residential appraiser exam.
Before you may take the exam, you must:
- Find a certified appraiser willing to supervise your work experience as a licensed registered appraiser trainee.
- Work under the supervisory appraiser to get a minimum of 2 years’ real estate appraiser experience (24 full months and 2,500 hours). Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
To be eligible to take the exam, you must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher (in any field) from an accredited college or university:
- A total of 200 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses, including all of the following:
|Basic appraisal principles
|Basic appraisal procedures
|Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)
|Residential market analysis and highest and best use
|Residential appraiser site valuation and cost approach
|Residential sales comparison and income approaches
|Residential appraiser report writing and case studies
|Statistics, modeling and finance
|Advanced residential applications and case studies
|Appraisal Subject Matter Electives
How to apply to take the certification exam
- Complete a Real Estate Appraiser Certification Application. If you’re from outside Washington State, please complete the Consent of Service section of the application form included in the application.
- Attach copies of all education documentation.
- Enclose a completed experience log, in chronological order. You won’t be granted credit for restricted appraisal reports. Every page must be signed by you. All pages with experience obtained under a Supervisor, must also be signed by your supervisor.
- Enclose a check or money order for the $370 application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing). Fees are non-refundable.
- Mail the application, documentation, and fee to us at the address shown on the application.
- Allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing. We’ll review the application and determine if you’re eligible for exam. Then we’ll send you a letter stating you’re approved to take the exam, or explaining why your application was denied.
- Schedule your exam online, by phone, or by mail with Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc. (AMP). For more information, see the Candidate Handbook on the AMP website.
U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification
Questions? Need help?