State-licensed real estate appraiser
Counter services are closed as of January 1, 2016.
- You can still mail applications and forms or use our online services where available.
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
- If you still have questions call 360.664.6504 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education and experience requirements
To be eligible to become a state-licensed real estate appraiser, you must meet all of the following education and experience requirements.
There is no specific order required to gain this education and experience. After you have completed these requirements, you’re eligible to apply to take the state-licensed real estate appraiser exam.
Before you may take the exam, you must:
- Find a certified appraiser willing to supervise your work experience as a licensed registered appraiser trainee.
- Work under the supervisory appraiser to get at least 2 years’ real estate appraiser experience (24 full months and 2,000 hours). Hours may be treated as cumulative to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
To be eligible to take the exam, you must have successfully completed:
- An Associate’s degree or higher (in any field) or 30 semester hours of college-level education, from an accredited college or university.
- A total of 150 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses. These courses must include the following:
|Basic appraisal principles
|Basic appraisal procedures
|Residential market analysis and highest and best use
|Residential appraiser site valuation and cost approach
|Residential sales comparison and income approaches
|Residential appraiser report writing and case studies
How to apply to take the licensing examination
- Complete a Real Estate Appraiser Certification Application. If you’re from outside Washington State, please complete the Consent of Service section of the application form included in the application.
- Attach copies of all education documentation.
- Enclose a completed experience log, in chronological order. You won’t be granted credit for restricted appraisal reports. Every page must be signed by you and your supervisor.
- Enclose a check or money order for the $370 application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing). Fees are non-refundable.
- Mail the application, documentation, and fee to us at the address shown on the application.
- Allow at least 2 weeks for processing. We’ll review the application and determine if you’re eligible for exam. Then we’ll send you a letter stating you’re approved to take the exam, or explaining why your application was denied.
- Schedule your exam online, by phone, or by mail with Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc (goamp.com). For more information, see the Candidate Handbook.
U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification
Questions? Need help?