Architect seal

Stamps and seals: Architects

The Washington State Legislature has not yet approved state operating and capital budgets for the 2017–19 biennium, which begins July 1. If the Legislature does not approve budgets by June 30, several state agencies will go through full or partial operations shutdowns. To find out what services will be effected, see Possible suspension of services starting July 1.

The MyDOR portal will be taken offline at 11:55 p.m. June 27, 2017 to process applications, renewals, and credit card payments before shutdown. Paper applications and renewals can still be sent by U.S. mail. Business Licensing staff will be laid off during any shutdown and unavailable to assist businesses. We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you need to file an annual report for your corporation or LLC now, the Office of the Secretary of State's front counter located at 801 Capital Way S, Olympia WA 98501-1226 will be open.

How to get your stamp or seal

It’s your responsibility to get a stamp/seal after you’re licensed.

Your stamp may be rubber, embossed, or digitally produced. You should be able to get one from any stamp manufacturer. When ordering, make sure it contains all of the following:

  • Your name
  • Your license number
  • The legend “Registered Architect, State of Washington”

Approved design

The approved design is shown above. Deviations from this design aren’t allowed.

  • Your name should appear where it says “Name.“
  • Your license number should replace the row of zeroes.

How to use your stamp or seal

  • You must sign and seal all technical submissions required for building permits or regulatory approvals.
    • Drawings you prepare must be signed and sealed on each sheet.
    • Specifications and other technical submissions only need to be sealed on the cover, title page, and all pages of the table of contents.
  • You may sign and seal drawings only if:
    • You prepared them.
    • or
    • They were prepared:
      • By your regularly employed subordinates and reviewed by you.
      • By an individual or firm under direct subcontract with you.
      • In collaboration with an architect licensed in a jurisdiction we recognize, as long as you and the architect had a contractual agreement.
  • By signing and sealing drawings or specifications:
    • You become the architect of record.
    • You’re responsible to the same extent as if you prepared the drawings or specifications yourself.

Your signature

The term “signature” or “signed” means:

  • A handwritten or digital identification that represents the act of putting your name on a document to attest to its validity. Your signature must be:
    • Original and written by hand, or a scanned image of the original, handwritten identification.
    • Permanently affixed to the documents being certified.
    • Applied to the document by you.
    • Placed across the your seal/stamp.
  • or
  • An electronic authentication process attached to or associated with an electronic document, which may include a scanned or digitized signature. This type of digital identification must be:
    • Unique to you.
    • Verifiable.
    • Under your exclusive control.

Frequently asked questions

How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly as you entered it on your application form.

Can I use an electronically-produced seal?
Yes. To learn more about using your seal, see:

Related information

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website