Get your architect’s license by exam


If you haven’t started IDP or had any activity for over 5 years, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • and
  • Have an accredited architectural degree and have successfully completed IDP.
    Have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least 9 years of practical architectural work experience, which includes completion of IDP.
    • Before enrolling in IDP, you must have had at least 6 years of work experience, with at least 3 years of experience under the direct supervision of an architect.
    • Unaccredited and related degrees can receive partial credit toward experience requirements. See WAC 308-12-025 for details.

For details about these requirements, please see RCW 18.08.350.

How to apply

If you have a non-accredited bachelor’s or master’s degree in architecture from a university not recognized by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or are applying with work experience only:

  1. Send us your completed Architect Registration Initial Application and a check or money order for the non-refundable fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).
  2. Have your verifiers send us completed employment and experience summary forms to document your work experience gained before starting IDP.
  3. Have your college or university send us any official transcripts.
  4. Once your application is approved, contact NCARB to register for IDP.
  5. After you’ve successfully completed IDP:
    • Have NCARB transmit your record to us
    • Request to take the ARE via your My NCARB account
  6. When your application is complete, we’ll approve you to take the Architect Registration Exams (ARE).
  7. When you’ve passed the entire ARE and, if necessary, the oral exam, submit:

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website