Get your architect’s license by reciprocity


To qualify for reciprocity, you must:

  1. Have a current architect license in good standing in another state, province, or recognized jurisdiction that is a member of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
  2. Demonstrate that your qualifications and experience are equivalent to those required under RCW 18.08.350.
  3. Provide documentation that you’ve met the NCARB seismic exam requirements. If you can’t prove completion of seismic exam requirements, you may be required to complete Division LF (Lateral Forces) of the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).
  4. Submit an law review exam to show you understand Washington state laws and rules.

How to apply if you have an NCARB council record

  1. Have NCARB transmit your council record to us.
  2. Submit all of the following:

How to apply if you don’t have an NCARB council record

Submit all of the following:

  • A completed Architect Registration Initial Application.
  • A check or money order, payable to the Department of Licensing, for the $325 fee ($250 for the reciprocity application fee and $75 for the initial 2-year registration fee).
  • A current state certification and certification of written examination from the NCARB-recognized jurisdiction where you were originally registered, including verification that you successfully completed the ARE and seismic requirements (sent directly from the issuing jurisdiction).
  • A completed, signed, and dated Architect Law Review Exam with a passing score of 100%, covering:
  • If you’ve been licensed less than 9 years, you must also submit:
    • Documentation of your practical work experience (on the form provided by the board staff).
    • An official college transcript indicating the degree you received, sent directly from the issuing institution.
    • Proof of completion of the Intern Development Program (IDP).
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website