How to hold professional boxing, wrestling, and martial arts events
The following requirements apply to:
- Professional boxing, wrestling, and martial arts events
- Amateur mixed martial arts events overseen by the Department of Licensing.
Before the event, the promoter must:
- Get a promoter license.
- Call us to request an event date. (You must be licensed before requesting an event date).
- Make sure the matchmaker is licensed.
- Complete a Combative Sports Program Advance Notice for the event and submit it to us at least 7 days before the event.
- Before the weigh-in, make sure we’ve approved the bouts.
- Report any bout changes to us immediately.
- Send us the completed Fighter Contracts at least 5 days before the event.
- Make sure all licensing requirements are met:
- Participants must be licensed before the weigh-in.
- All other licenses must be completed by the conclusion of the weigh-in.
- Get medical insurance for all the participants, and submit it to us at least 72 hours before the event.
- Attend the weigh-in within 24 hours of event start time, but not less than 2 hours before the event. (If a representative attends the weigh-in, he or she must have the authority to sign contracts.)
- Provide a suitable examination area for physicians. Pre-fight physicals must be completed within 24 hours of the event start time.
The night of the event, the promoter must:
- Provide the inspector with the gloves and emergency back-up gloves before event start time.
- Provide equipment for seconds and boxers at ringside before event start time, including:
- Corner stools
- Spit buckets
- Other health and safety items
- Make sure the ambulance or paramedical unit is:
- Staffed with 2 attendants.
- Equipped with transport and resuscitation capabilities.
- Is on site at the event location 30 minutes before the event start time.
- Make sure adequate security personnel are on duty when the venue doors open.
- Submit the fighters’ and officials’ pay to us before the start of the event.
- Submit the ticket sales report, licensing fees, and event fee to us at the end of the event.
- Make sure a representative remains at the event location until all post-fight physicals are completed.