How to get your license: Bail bond agency/branch office
Who needs a license?
You must have a bail bond agency/branch office license if your business offers bail bond services.
To get a bail bond agency/branch office license, all company owners, partners, or agents must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A United States citizen or resident alien.
You must also have the following:
- No criminal convictions within the past 10 years that directly relate to your ability to perform your duties or hinder public safety.
- A physical business location within Washington State.
- A valid business license with the Business Licensing Service.
What you’ll need
- A completed Bail Bond Agency/Branch Office License Application.
- The application fee (check or money order payable to the Department of Licensing).
- Proof of 3 years’ experience as a manager, supervisor, or administrator in the bail bond business or related field.
- If you don’t provide proof of experience, we’ll schedule you for an examination within 3 weeks of receiving your paid application.
- A $10,000 surety bond.
- If you write property bonds, the names of the courts that have given approval for the placing of property bonds.
- If you write surety bail bonds:
- The name and address of the surety.
- The attorney in fact.
- The name the build-up fund is in.
- If your agency is a corporation:
- A copy of articles of incorporation
- A list of officers and departments and their addresses.
How to apply
Send your completed application with any required attachments and a check or money order for the fee to:
Bail Bond Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401