How to get your license: Bail bond recovery agent
Who needs a license?
Anyone who is paid to apprehend criminal defendants for whom bail bonds have been posted.
All bail bond recovery agents must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Have no criminal convictions that directly relate to their ability to perform the duties of a bail bond recovery agent or that hinders public safety.
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or proof of 3 years’ experience in the bail industry.
- Complete the bail bond recovery agent training requirements.
- Pass an exam covering the training topics. We’ll schedule your exam at the location you choose within 3 weeks of receiving your paid application. See also: Exams.
How to apply
- Submit all of the following:
State of Washington
Department of Licensing
Business and Professions Division
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124–3401
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Bail Bond program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.