How to renew your license: Collection agencies
When to renew
You must renew your license every year. The Business Licensing Service will mail you a renewal notice about 6 weeks before your license expiration date at the mailing address they have on file.
How to renew your license
- Provide the name and phone number of a contact person at the licensed location.
- If you have a Collection Agency License, all contact people for offices in Washington State must be residents of Washington.
- If you don’t list the contact information, your license renewal will be delayed.
- Submit the appropriate fee (check or money order payable to the Department of Revenue).
- If you have an Out-of-State Collection Agency License, the renewal fee can be waived if your home state doesn’t require fees of non-resident, out-of-state agencies.
- Mail your renewal notice and fee to the address on the notice.
Debt buyers added to the definition of a collection agency
The 2013 Legislature adopted a new bill, ESHB 1822, that adds “debt buyers” to the definition of a collection agency. The new law:
- Makes all debt buyers and others who meet the definition of a collection agency subject to the Washington Collection Agency Act (RCW 19.16) and current administrative rules (WAC 308-29).
- Clarifies that licensees are prohibited from engaging in the unauthorized practice of law. This means that lawyers can practice law and also hold a collection agency license.