Members and mission: Cosmetology, Barbering, Esthetics, Manicuring, and Hair Design advisory board
Interested in serving on the advisory board?
If you’re interested in serving on the board, mail a résumé and a completed Advisory Board Application to the address on the form.
Duties and responsibilities
- Attend board meetings every other month. Workshops to rewrite laws are held on the months with no board meetings.
- Complete a 3-year term.
- Interpret community opinions, attitudes, and needs to agencies, the Legislature, and the Governor.
- Study programs and services, and analyze problems and needs.
- Offer new proposals and recommend changes in programs, policies and standards.
- Provide the public with information and interpretation of Department and state policies, programs and budgets.
- Serve as an advisor on policy matters to the appointing authority responsible for administering policy.
- Study existing policy and make recommendations for change.
Are board members paid?
Travel expenses are reimbursable and members are eligible to receive up to $50/day when conducting board business.
To develop recommendations to the Director of the Department of Licensing, which promote protection of the consumer and address concerns of the licensees relating to RCW 18.16, within the authority granted by statute to the Advisory Board.
To promote safety, we educate and practice professionally and competently.
||Chair — Esthetician
||Vice Chair — Vocational School
- Public member: Must be a consumer who is unaffiliated with the cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, or manicuring industries.
- Cosmetologist, Barbering, or Hair Design: Must be a currently practicing licensee who has been engaged in the practice of cosmetology, barber, or hair design for at least 3 years.
- Esthetician: Must be a currently practicing licensee who has been engaged in the practice of esthetics for at least 3 years.
- Manicurist: Must be a currently practicing licensee who has been engaged in the practice of manicuring for at least 3 years.
- Private school representative: Must be affiliated with a licensed private school of cosmetology, barbering, manicuring and esthetics.
- Public vocational technical school representative: Must be affiliated with a licensed public vocational technical school of cosmetology, barbering, manicuring and esthetics.
- Apprentice Salon representative: Must be affiliated with a licensed apprentice salon.
Questions? Need help?