Out-of-state license: Cosmetologists
To get a license as a cosmetologist, barber, manicurist, or esthetician in Washington, you must:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Have a current license in good standing in another state or foreign country.
How to get your license
- Complete an application form.
- Provide proof you have a current license in good standing in another state or foreign country. A copy of your license isn’t verification of licensure. Please contact the state you’re licensed in to request a verification.
- If you’re licensed in the United States, provide proof you’ve passed state-approved written and practical examinations.
- If you’re licensed outside the United States, you must take the Washington State exams.
- Mail your completed application, supporting documents, and a check for the fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Where can I find information about the examinations?
Please see Frequently asked questions.
Post your license
Your license must be posted at your work station.