Take a survey: Tell us how we're doing!

How to get your license: Cosmetology salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit

Who needs a license?

You do if you operate a salon/shop, personal service, or mobile unit in WA where cosmetology, barbering, manicuring or esthetics are performed for a fee.

  • A salon/shop is any building, structure, or part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space where services are performed
  • Personal services are services performed in the client’s home, office, or other location that’s convenient for the client.
  • A mobile unit is a location where services are performed in a mobile structure (van, mobile home, etc.).

How to get your license

To apply:

  1. File a Business License Application – get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number (Department of Revenue).
    • You’ll include your UBI on your salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit license application.
  2. Certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy of at least $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
  3. Complete a Salon/Shop, Personal Services, or Mobile Unit License Application.
  4. Fee – Check or money order payable to the Department of Licensing.
  5. Mail to:
    Cosmetology Program
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 3856
    Seattle, WA 98124-3856

Post your license

You must post these items in the reception area of your salon/shop or mobile unit:

More about licensing requirements

For other requirements, see RCW 18.16.175.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website