How to get your license: Cosmetology salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit
Who needs a license?
You must have a license if you operate a salon/shop, personal service, or mobile unit in Washington where cosmetology, barbering, manicuring or esthetics are performed for a fee.
- A salon/shop is any building, structure, or part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space where services are performed
- Personal services are services performed in the client’s home, office, or other location that’s convenient for the client.
- A mobile unit is a location where services are performed in a mobile structure (van, mobile home, etc.).
How to get your license
To apply for a license:
- File a Business License Application with the Department of Revenue to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number.
- You’ll need to include your UBI number on your salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit license application.
- Certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy of at least $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Complete a Salon/Shop, Personal Services, or Mobile Unit License Application.
- Submit your completed application, certification of insurance, and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post all of the following in the reception area of your salon/shop or mobile unit:
More about licensing requirements
For other requirements, see RCW 18.16.175.