How to get your license: Salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit
Who needs a license?
You do if you operate a salon/shop, personal service, or mobile unit in WA where cosmetology, barbering, manicuring, hair design, esthetics, or master esthetics are performed for a fee.
- A salon/shop is any building, structure, or part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space where services are performed
- Personal services are services performed in the client's home, office, or other location that's convenient for the client.
- A mobile unit is a location where services are performed in a mobile structure (van, mobile home, etc.).
How to get your license
- File a Business License Application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue.
- You'll include your UBI on your salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit license application.
- Certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy of at least $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Mail a completed Salon/Shop, Personal Services, or Mobile Unit License Application and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post these items in the reception area of your salon/shop or mobile unit:
Questions? Need help?