Salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit
You must have a license to operate a salon/shop, personal services, or mobile unit where cosmetology, barbering, manicuring or esthetics are performed for a fee.
Types of licenses
- Salon/shop—Any building, structure, or any part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space where services are performed
- Personal services—When services are performed in the client’s home, office, or other location that is convenient for the client.
- Mobile unit—A location where services are performed in a mobile structure.
How to get your license
To apply for any of the licenses above, please follow the steps below:
- File a Business License Application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue. You must include your UBI number on the salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit license application.
- Certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy in an amount not less than $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
- Submit all of the following:
Mail your application, insurance certification, and fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
Salon/shop or mobile unit licenses must be posted in the salon/shop or mobile unit’s reception area. A notice to consumers also must be posted, per RCW 18.16.180.
Where can I find out more about licensing requirements?
For other requirements, see RCW 18.16.175.