How to get your WA license: Graduate of a school or apprenticeship program
- To get your license as a cosmetologist, barber, manicurist, esthetician, master esthetician, or hair design you must:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Graduate from a school approved and licensed by the Department of Licensing with the minimum required state hours.
Successfully complete a state approved apprenticeship training program.
- Pass the state-approved practical and written exams administered by D.L. Roope.
- After you get your license, you must post it at your work station.
Minimum required school hours
- Cosmetologist—1,600 hours
- Barber—1,000 hours
- Manicurist—600 hours
- Esthetician—750 hours
- Master esthetician—1,200 hours
- Hair design—1,400 hours
Minimum required apprenticeship program hours
- Cosmetologist—2,000 hours
- Barber—1,200 hours
- Manicurist—800 hours
- Esthetician—800 hours
- Master esthetician—1,400 hours
- Hair design—1,750 hours
How to get your license
- Once you're eligible to schedule your exams, your school or apprentice program will create an account for you. You’ll receive a confirmation email with your username and password.
- Follow the instructions in the email to schedule and pay for your exams.
- After you pass the exams, you'll need to log into your account to apply and pay for your license.
For more details about the practical and written exams, visit dlroope.com.
If you fail an exam
You may take only 1 examination per day. If you fail an exam, you may apply to retake it on another day. To schedule a re-exam and pay the re-exam fee, go to dlroope.com.
If you have a license in another state
If you apply for a Washington state license, it won’t affect your license in another state. To learn how to get a Washington license if you have a valid license in another state, see How to get your license: Out-of-state license.
Questions? Need help?