How to get your instructor license: School graduate
To get your instructor license you must:
- Have a current Washington cosmetology, barber, manicurist, esthetician, hair design, or master esthetician license before enrolling in an instructor program.
- Graduate from a school approved and licensed by us with the minimum required hours.
- Pass the state approved practical and written examinations administered by D.L. Roope.
How to get your instructor license
- Once you're eligible to schedule your exams, your school or apprentice program will create an account for you. You’ll receive a confirmation email with your username and password.
- Follow the instructions in the email to schedule and pay for your exams.
- After you pass the exams, you'll need to log into your account to apply and pay for your license.
For more details about the practical and written exams, visit dlroope.com.
If you have a license in another state
If you apply for a WA license, it won’t affect your license in another state. To learn how to get a WA license if you have a valid license in another state, see How to get your instructor license: Out-of-state license.
Questions? Need help?