How to get your cosmetology instructor license: School graduate
- To get your instructor license, you must:
- Graduate from a school approved and licensed by the us (DOL) with the minimum required 500 classroom hours.
- Have a current cosmetology, barber, manicure and/or esthetics license in Washington state (WA).
- Pass the state-approved written and performance exams.
- You must post your license at your work station.
How to get your instructor license
- Get a WA cosmetology, barber, manicure and/or esthetics license.
- Schedule your exam online: www.cosmetologywashington.com and pay fees.
- Walk-ins aren’t admitted to exams, and testing centers can’t schedule you.
- After you pass your exams, apply for your license and pay fees: www.cosmetologywashington.com.
For more details, see the NIC Exam Preparation Guide for instructors.
If you have a license in another state
If you apply for a WA license, it won’t affect your license in another state. To learn how to get a WA license if you have a valid license in another state, see How to get your instructor license: Out-of-state license.