How to get your cosmetology instructor license: School graduate
- To get your instructor license, you must:
- Graduate from a school approved and licensed by the Department of Licensing with the minimum required 500 classroom hours.
- Have a current cosmetology, barber, manicure and/or esthetics license in Washington state.
- Pass the state-approved written and performance examinations.
- After you get your license, you must post it at your work station.
How to get your instructor license
- Get a Washington cosmetology, barber, manicure and/or esthetics license.
- Go to www.cosmetologywashington.com to schedule your exam and pay your exam fee.
- You must schedule exams online. Walk-ins aren’t admitted to exams, and the testing centers can’t schedule you.
- After you pass the exams, apply for your license and pay the fee online at www.cosmetologywashington.com.
For more details, see the NIC Exam Preparation Guide for instructors.
If you have a license in another state
If you apply for a Washington state license, it won’t affect your license in another state. To learn how to get a Washington license if you have a valid license in another state, see How to get your instructor license: Out-of-state license.