How to renew your license: Cosmetology school
To renew your Washington cosmetology school license:
- Send us all of the following:
- A completed School License Application.
- A completed School Tuition Certification.
- A completed School Data Sheet.
- A Surety Bond equal to 10% of your gross annual tuition, but not less that $10,000 or more than $50,000.
- Changes to your curriculum, catalogs, or brochures.
- A current list of instructors.
- Verification of your current student/instructor ratio.
- A student monthly report for each professional program you teach.
- A school floor plan drawn to scale.
- A copy of a current fire inspection report with signature and date.
- A check or money order for the $300 fee, payable to Department of Licensing ($475 for late renewals).
- Mail your application, insurance certification, and fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
- If your renewal is late, you’ll be charged a $475 late renewal fee.
- If your license has been expired for more than 1 year, it has been canceled and you must re-apply.
If your license is expired or canceled, your school is considered to be unlicensed and:
- The hours earned by students may not be credited toward completion of the course study.
- You may be fined for engaging in unlicensed activity.
If you have a license in another state
We only renew Washington state licenses. To renew your license in another state, please contact the licensing board in that state for instructions. See the NIC website for a list of U.S. licensing boards.
Question? Need help?