A license is required for any establishment in Washington that offers instruction in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, manicuring, or instructor-trainee to students.
How to get your license
To apply for a license:
- File a Business License Application with the Department of Revenue to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number. You must include your UBI number on the salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit application.
- Send us all of the following:
- A completed Cosmetology, Barbering, Esthetics, and/or Manicuring School License Application.
- Check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).
- As outlined in RCW 18.16.140, WAC 308-20-040, and WAC 308-20-090; a copy of the:
- School’s curriculum
- Brochure (if you have one)
- Enrollment contract
- Cancellation and refund policies
- Cosmetology, Barbering, Esthetics, and/or Manicuring School Surety Bond not less than $10,000 or 10% of the annual gross tuition collected by the school, whichever is greater; not to exceed $50,000.
- Cosmetology, Barbering, Esthetics, and/or Manicuring School Data Sheet
- Mail your application, documents, and fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post your school licenses in the reception area of the school.