How to get your license: Postsecondary school
Who needs a license?
You do if you operate an establishment in Washington that offers instruction in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, manicuring, hair design, master esthetics, or instructor-trainee to students.
To apply for a license…
File a Business License Application – get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number (Department of Revenue).
You’ll include your UBI number on the postsecondary school application.
- Cosmetology, Hair Design, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, Master Esthetician, or Instructor
School License Application.
- Fee – Check or money order payable to Department of Licensing.
- As outlined in RCW 18.16.140, WAC 308-20-040, and WAC 308-20-090; a copy of the:
- School’s curriculum
- Brochure (if you have one)
- Enrollment contract
- Cancellation and refund policies
- Cosmetology, Hair Design, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, or Master Esthetician School Surety Bond not less than $10,000 or 10% of the annual gross tuition collected by the school, whichever is greater; not to exceed $50,000.
- Cosmetology, Hair Design, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, Master Esthetician, or Instructor School Data Sheet
- Mail to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post your school licenses in the reception area of the school.
Question? Need help?