How to get your license: Driver training school staff certificate
Who needs a staff certificate?
You need one if you’re a driver training school employee who:
- Has unsupervised contact with students.
- Enters data into the Secure Access Washington (SAW) portal on behalf of the students.
- Enters test scores into the SAW portal on behalf of your school.
How to apply
- Complete a Driver Training School Staff Certificate Application.
- Get fingerprinted at a police station or a Washington State Patrol approved fingerprinting service.
- You’ll need to show your driver license or at least 1 other form of photo identification.
- Each fingerprinting service sets its own fee. You pay them when they fingerprint you. You send us the processing fee along with your application.
- When you fill out the fingerprint card, provide your:
- Identifying information: Your name, any aliases, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, residence address, and other identifying information.
- Employer and Address: Name and address of the driving school where you’ll work.
- Reason Fingerprinted: For staff/owners, enter the exact words “Driver Training School Staff/Owner RCW 46.82.325”.
- Social Security Number: Your Social Security number is mandatory for identification purposes only.
- ORI: Enter the code “WA920390Z”.
- Include your completed fingerprint card with your application.
- Don’t fold the fingerprint card. We will reject bent or folded cards, and you’ll need to have your fingerprints retaken.
- Be sure your fingerprint card is filled out correctly. We can’t accept the card if any information is missing, incomplete, or incorrectly worded.
- Mail the application, fingerprint card, and Washington State Patrol/FBI background check processing fee (check or money order payable to Department of Licensing) to:
Driver Training Schools
Business and Professions Division
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3907
Seattle, WA 98124-3907
When we receive your application:
- We’ll send your fingerprint card to the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. Background checks take 1–6 weeks to complete. They use the FBI’s Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System. If you have questions, call us: 360.664.6692.
- When your background check is complete, we’ll review your application. If you qualify, we’ll mail your certificate. Please allow at least 3 weeks from the time you submit your application until you get your certificate.
Questions? Need help?