How to get your license: Driver training school staff certificate
Who needs a staff certificate?
You may apply for a staff certificate if you’re a driver training school employee who:
- Has unsupervised contact with students.
- Enters data into the Secure Access Washington (SAW) portal on behalf of the students.
- Enters test scores into the SAW portal on behalf of your school.
How to apply
- Complete a Driver Training School Staff Certificate Application.
- Get fingerprinted at a police department or any Washington State Patrol approved fingerprinting service.
- You’ll be required to show your driver license or at least 1 other form of photo identification.
- Each fingerprinting service sets its own fee. You must pay them at the time of fingerprinting, in addition to the processing fee you send us with your application.
- When completing the fingerprint card, be sure to provide your:
- Identifying information: Your name, any aliases, date of birth, citizenship, residence address, and other identifying information.
- Employer and Address: The name and address of the driving school where you’ll work.
- Reason Fingerprinted: For staff/owners, enter the exact words “Driver Training School Staff/Owner RCW 46.82.325”.
- Social Security Number: Your Social Security number is mandatory for identification purposes only.
- ORI: Enter the code “WA920390Z”.
- Include your completed fingerprint card with your application.
- Don’t fold the fingerprint card. We must reject bent or folded cards, and you’ll have to have your fingerprints retaken.
- Be sure your fingerprint card is filled out correctly. We can’t accept the card if any information is missing, incomplete, or incorrectly worded.
- Mail your completed application, fingerprint card, and $32.50 processing fee (check or money order payable to Department of Licensing) to:
Driver Training Schools
Business and Professions Division
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
When we receive your application:
- We’ll send your fingerprint card to the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. Background checks take 1–6 weeks to complete and are conducted using the FBI’s Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System. If you have questions, call us at 360.664.6692.
- After the background check is complete, we’ll review your application and mail you your certificate if you qualify. Please allow at least 3 weeks from the time you submit your application until you get your certificate.