How to get your license: Employment agencies

Who needs a license?

You must have an employment agency license to operate any business that helps people obtain employment, where the job seeker pays for the service. This includes businesses that provide verbal or written lists of available employment positions.

The general manager of the employment agency must also pass an examination and get a professional license.


The following types of organizations aren’t required to have an employment agency license:

  • Temporary employment services
  • Labor unions
  • Nonprofit schools and colleges
  • Career guidance and counseling centers
  • Theatrical agencies
  • Farm labor contractors

How to apply

  1. Complete the following forms:
  2. Enclose all of the following with your completed forms:
    • A copy of the current client contract. (See Contract term guidelines to see what should be included in the contract.)
    • The appropriate fee (check or money order payable to the Department of Revenue).
  3. Mail your completed forms, supporting documents, and fees to:
    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Note: Please be sure to notify our office in writing of any address changes.

How to apply for an employment agency general manager license

  1. Complete the Employment Agency General Manager Examination Application. This form also includes examination resources.
  2. Submit the $150 examination fee.
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website