How to get your professional engineer license by comity
Important requirements if you’re currently licensed outside of Washington
Applicants for professional engineering licensure by comity must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Hold an active engineering license with one of the member boards of the NCEES.
- Pass the required engineering exams of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
- Have exam results verified by the NCEES or the appropriate member board.
- Have your professional license status verified by the member board that issued the license.
- All verifications must be originals and sent directly to the Washington Board by the NCEES or appropriate member board.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements above, you can’t apply for a license in Washington by comity.
If you’re licensed in another state and want a Professional Engineer license in Washington, you must:
- Be currently licensed in a U.S. state or other Washington board-approved jurisdiction.
- Have at least 8 years of Washington board-approved engineering experience.
- Have passed the Professional Engineer (PE) exam.
- Have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (EIT) exam.
- Pass the Washington Law and Ethics exam.
As of October 9, 2014, the Board will no longer waive the Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE Exam). Pre-existing waivers remain valid. All future applicants for the PE examination and licensure must pass the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering examination.
How to apply
- Complete a Professional Engineer Registration Application:
- Go to https://verify.ncees.org and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
- If you want education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript (not a photocopy) to us at:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9025
Olympia, WA 98507
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- You must complete the online law and ethics exam before we can consider approving your application.
- We need additional information to process your application.
How long will it take to get my license?
We process applications daily, and issue licenses once a month. Assuming all your documents are in order and you pass the required law and ethics exam, you could be approved in a week, or it could take several months.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.