How to get your professional engineer license by comity
Important requirements if you’re currently licensed outside of Washington
Applicants for professional engineering licensure by comity must meet these requirements:
- Hold an active engineering license with one of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) boards.
- Pass the required NCEES exams.
- Have exam results verified by the NCEES or the appropriate board.
- Have your professional license status verified by the board that issued the license.
- All verifications must be originals and sent to the Washington Board by the NCEES or appropriate board.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you can’t apply for a license in Washington by comity.
If you’re licensed in another state and want a Professional Engineer license in Washington, you must:
- Be currently licensed in a U.S. state or other Washington board-approved jurisdiction.
- Have at least 8 years of Washington board-approved engineering experience.
- Have passed the Professional Engineer (PE) exam.
- Have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (EIT) exam.
- Pass the Washington Law and Ethics exam.
How to apply
- Complete a Professional Engineer Registration Application:
- Go to https://verify.ncees.org and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
- If you want education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript (not a photocopy) to us at:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9025
Olympia, WA 98507
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- You must complete the online law and ethics exam before we can consider approving your application.
- We need additional information to process your application.
How long will it take to get my license?
We process applications daily, and issue licenses once a month. Assuming all your documents are in order and you pass the required law and ethics exam, you could be approved in a week, or it could take several months.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.