How to get your certificate: Firms
All corporations, joint stock associations, and limited liability companies (LLCs) that offer engineering or land surveying services must have a certificate of authorization in Washington, except for professional service (PS) corporations and professional service limited liability companies (PLLCs).
How to apply
- File a business license application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue.
- You must include your UBI number on the application.
- Your firm must be registered with the Washington Secretary of State before we can issue your certificate of authorization.
- Complete a Corporation or Limited Liability Company Certificate of Authorization Application.
- Have the Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor Affidavit (page 2 of the application) notarized.
- Mail the completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
Frequently asked questions
I work for a Canadian firm with several engineers licensed in Canada. Can we apply for a certificate of authority without having an engineer licensed in Washington State?
No, the designated engineer must be a licensed professional engineer in Washington.
How do I change the designated engineer or land surveyor for my firm?
Have the new designated engineer or land surveyor complete the Change of Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor form and send it in to our office.