How to get your structural engineer license
To get your structural engineer license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be currently licensed as a Washington Professional Engineer (PE).
- Have at least 2 years of progressive structural experience (in addition to the 8 years required for a Professional Engineer license).
- Pass the NCEES 16-hour Structural exam (first administered in April 2011). Please contact us if you’ve taken a state-specific structural exam.
How to apply
- Send us all of the following:
- Mail your completed application and fee to:
Department of Licensing
Business and Professions Division
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
- Send pages 3–6 of the application (Experience and Verification) to the people who are verifying your work experience. They will send the completed form directly to us when they’re done.
- You must complete the experience descriptions and have your experience verified using our forms. NCEES records aren’t accepted for structural engineer licensing.
- Go to https://verify.ncees.org and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- Your application is complete.
- We need additional information to process your application.
- You’ve been approved for the exam.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.