How to get your structural engineer license
Attention structural exam applicants – You must take and pass both the lateral and vertical portions of the NCEES 16–hour Structural Examination within a 5 year period. If you do not receive acceptable results on both components during this 5 year period, the results of the previous component you have passed will be invalidated. This means that to pass the SE exam in the future, you would be required to restart the process and take both components of the SE exam.
NCEES policy states: “For the Structural Engineering examination, a candidate may sit for either component in separate exam administrations but must receive acceptable results on both components within a five–year period in order to pass the examination.”
To get your structural engineer license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be currently licensed as a Washington Professional Engineer (PE).
- Have at least 2 years of progressive structural experience (in addition to the 8 years required for a Professional Engineer license).
- Pass the NCEES 16-hour Structural exam (first administered in April 2011). Please contact us if you’ve taken a state-specific structural exam.
How to apply
- Send us all of the following:
- Mail your completed application and fee to:
Department of Licensing
Business and Professions Division
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
- Send pages 3–6 of the application (Experience and Verification) to the people who are verifying your work experience. They will send the completed form directly to us when they’re done.
- You must complete the experience descriptions and have your experience verified using our forms. NCEES records aren’t accepted for structural engineer licensing.
- Go to https://verify.ncees.org and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- Your application is complete.
- We need additional information to process your application.
- You’ve been approved for the exam.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.