How to get your land surveyor license by exam
Due to facility issues, this licensing program has limited operations. There may be delays in responding to requests. We apologize for the inconvenience. We’re working toward resuming all business operations as soon as possible.
To get your license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Pass the LSIT (Land Surveyor-in-Training exam).
- Pass the PLS (Principles and Practices of Land Surveying exam).
- Pass the Washington 2-hour land surveyor’s exam.
- Have 8 years of professional-level experience under the direct supervision of a licensed land surveyor.
- Education in an ABET-accredited program may count for up to 4 years of this experience.
- Completion of the Certified Federal Surveyor (CFedS) program, including the final exam, may count for 3 months of this experience.
For more information about exam requirements and schedules, see Exams.
How to apply
- Complete the Professional Land Surveyor Registration Application.
- If you took the Fundamentals of Land Surveying exam (FLS) in another state, go to https://account.ncees.org/login and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
- If you want education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript to us at:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9025
Olympia, WA 98507
Photocopies aren’t accepted.
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- Your application is complete, but you still need you complete the law review before we can consider approving you for the licensing exam.
- We need additional information to process your application.
If you’re approved for the exams, you will receive two emails:
- We'll send the information you need to schedule your 6-hour exam with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
- National Testing Networks (ntnlicensingexams.com) will send the information you need to schedule your 2-hour exam.
Do I have to take an exam to get a license?
Yes, all applicants must take and pass the approved written examinations and a law review before receiving a license. Once we receive your application and fee, we’ll send you an email with instructions on how to access the online Law and Ethics exam. For more information, see Exams.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.
Questions? Need help?