How to get your land surveyor license by exam
To get your license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Pass the LSIT (Land Surveyor-in-Training exam).
- Pass the PLS (Principles and Practices of Land Surveying exam).
- Pass the Washington 2-hour land surveyor’s exam.
- Have 8 years of professional-level experience under the direct supervision of a licensed land surveyor.
- Education in an ABET-accredited program may count for up to 4 years of this experience.
- Completion of the Certified Federal Surveyor (CFedS) program, including the final exam, may count for 3 months of this experience.
For more information about exam requirements and schedules, see Exams.
How to apply
- Complete the Professional Land Surveyor Registration Application.
- If you took the Fundamentals of Land Surveying exam (FLS) in another state, go to https://verify.ncees.org and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
- If you want education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript to us at:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9025
Olympia, WA 98507
Photocopies aren’t accepted.
Frequently asked questions
What happens after I submit my application?
We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:
- Your application is complete.
- You’ve been approved for the exam. (You must complete the law and ethics exam before getting approval for the licensing exam.)
- We need additional information to process your application.
If you’re approved for the exam, the letter will include the information you need to schedule your exam with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
Do I have to take an exam to get a license?
Yes, all applicants must take and pass the approved written examinations and a Law and Ethics exam before receiving a license. Once we receive your application and fee, we’ll send you an email with instructions on how to access the online Law and Ethics exam. For more information, see Exams.
How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?
Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.