Frequently asked questions: Concealed pistol license

Due to facility issues, this licensing program has limited operations. There may be delays in responding to requests. We apologize for the inconvenience. We’re working toward resuming all business operations as soon as possible.

When do I need to have a concealed pistol license?

By law, you must have a concealed pistol license (CPL) when you are:

  • Carrying a pistol concealed on your person.
  • Carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

Is my concealed pistol license good in other states?

Visit the Attorney General Office website to see states with firearms reciprocity.

How long does it take before I get my license?

It can take from 30 to 60 days.

How long is my concealed pistol license valid?

Your concealed pistol license is valid for 5 years from the date it is issued.

What if my CPL is denied?

Contact the law enforcement agency where you applied.

What if my CPL is revoked?

Contact the law enforcement agency that issued your concealed pistol license.

What if I lose my concealed pistol license?

Apply for a replacement license at your local law enforcement agency, see below.

If you live… Apply at your local law enforcement agency – See Below…
In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington Your county sheriff’s office
In an incorporated city or town in Washington
  • The police Department in your city or town
  • or
  • Your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident) Any local law enforcement agency in Washington State

How can I find out if someone has a CPL or gun?

By law, we can’t provide any information related to anyone’s record, except to law enforcement and correctional agencies.

How do I get information regarding my CPL or firearms record?

You can request this information by completing a Firearms Record Certification Request. When completed, take the form and your photo identification to a local law enforcement agency.

How do I restore my rights?

Contact the court where you were convicted, or the superior court where you live.

Related laws

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website