How to get your license: Firearms dealer license
How to apply
You can apply at the local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where your business is located.
- If your business is in the unincorporated area of a county, go to the sheriff’s office.
- If your business is in an incorporated city, go to the police department.
What to bring when you apply
Bring all of the following items:
- Your federal firearms license.
- Your state business license. To learn more, see File a Business License Application or call the Department of Revenue at 800.451.7985.
- Valid, government-issued photo identification (for example, Washington driver license or ID card).
- A check or money order for $125, payable to the law enforcement agency where you’re applying.
Application hours vary from agency to agency. For specific business hours, please contact the law enforcement agency where you plan to apply.
Background check required
You must be fingerprinted and have a criminal history background check before you’re issued a firearms dealer license.
- The fingerprinting and background check will be performed by the law enforcement agency where you apply.
- It may take 30–60 days to complete the background check, depending on your residency requirement.
How long your license is valid
Your firearms dealer license is valid for 1 year from the date it is issued. It isn’t renewable. You must reapply every year.