How to get your license: Cemeteries
Who needs a license?
Any corporation established to operate a cemetery in Washington must have a cemetery license.
Before applying for a license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- The cemetery must be operated by a corporation established for that purpose. This corporation must be established and adopt the appropriate bylaws before operating the cemetery. (RCW 68.20.010)
- You must deposit $25,000 in an endowment care fund before selling or disposing of any plot. (RCW 68.40.010)
How to get your license
- Contact the city or county where the property is located to see if it can be used as a cemetery.
- Dedicate the cemetery property.
- Be sure you’ve met all the requirements for the operating corporation and endowment care fund listed above.
- File a business license application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue.
- Complete an Authority to Operate a Cemetery Application.
- You must include your UBI number on the application.
- The application must be completed by the corporation.
- Be sure to provide all the required supporting documents.
- Mail all of the following to the address on the application form:
- Your completed application and attachments.
- A check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).