Google™ Translate Limitations & Disclaimer

Due to flooding, the Everett Driver Licensing Services Office is closed. We'll update this message when we have a reopening date. In the meantime, customers are encouraged to access our online services or visit these nearby offices: Smokey Point, Lynnwood, and Shoreline.

How to get your license: Embalmers

Our Customer Service Counter has moved. The counter is located at 405 Black Lake Blvd, Olympia, WA 98502. Map and driving directions (

Save a trip! Many services are available online!

Who needs a license?

Anyone who disinfects and preserves human remains for transportation or final disposition.


To get a license as an embalmer, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Meet at least one of the following education requirements:
    • Have an Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science.
    • Meet the alternative education requirements below.
    • If you have at least 5 years of active licensed experience in another state, you don’t need to meet the education requirements.
  • Complete an embalmer internship.
  • Take and pass the licensing exam.

Alternative education requirements

If you don't have an Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science, you must complete a course of instruction at an accredited mortuary science college program:

  • The course must consist of at least 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours.
  • Credits may be earned at more than 1 college to satisfy the total number required. The mortuary science school will determine if courses from other colleges or universities are transferable.

Note: A diploma or certificate from a mortuary school whose curriculum doesn't equal 60 semester or 90 quarter hours doesn't meet Washington's education requirements.

How to apply

  1. Submit an application, either online or by mail:
  2. Online
  3. By mail
  4. Submit the following to the address shown on the application:
  5. Have supporting documents sent directly to us at the address shown below:
    • Washington applicants or applicants who have been licensed in another state less than 5 years:
      • Official transcripts from your college or university. We accept only sealed transcripts sent directly from the issuing college or university.
      • Copy of your National Board scores
    • All applicants licensed in another state:
      • License history and exam verifications from any states where you've been licensed

Mailing address – Supporting documents only (no applications or payments):

Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9012
Olympia WA 98507

Questions? Need help?

Contact us
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website