Exams: Home inspectors
Education, training, and exam requirements
You must complete the following education and training, and pass the appropriate home inspector exam, before you can get a license.
|Level of experience
||Education and training required
who haven’t actively performed home inspections.
- Fundamentals of Home Inspection (120 clock hours)
- Field training (40 hours)
who have been licensed as a home inspector in good standing for at least 2 of the last 4 years in a state with licensing requirements that meet or exceed Washington’s per WAC 308-408A-040 (leg.wa.gov).
|Education and training that meets or exceeds Washington’s requirements. You will be required to provide proof you have completed your training.
||State portion of the exam
How to apply for the exam
- Complete a Home Inspector Examination Application. Be sure to include proof you have completed 120 hours of classroom instruction in board-approved courses and 40 hours of field training with a licensed/experienced home inspector.
- Enclose your completed application with all the required supporting documents.
- Mail it to:
Home Inspector Program
Business and Professions Division
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9021
Olympia, WA 98507-9021
After you submit your application
- We’ll evaluate your application and supporting documents and:
- Send you an exam approval letter telling you that your application is complete and providing the information you’ll need to schedule your exam with the testing service provider.
- A letter asking for additional information so we can process your application.
- If you’re approved to take the exam, schedule your exam with our testing vendor, Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc. (AMP):
- Visit the AMP website.
- Choose the “Real Estate” category.
- Select the “Washington Home Inspector Program.”
- Choose the exam you want.
- It’s a good idea to review the Home Inspector Examination Candidate Handbook (goamp.com) to prepare for the exam.
- Bring your exam approval letter and payment for the exam fees when you go to the testing site. You must show the approval letter you received from us before you will be allowed to take the exam. After you take the exam, you’ll receive your exam results (Pass/Fail Report) as you leave the testing center.
Questions? Need help?