Tips for hiring a limousine
Hiring a limousine can make a special event memorable and fun. Washington has many quality limousine companies to choose from, and you’ll get the most from your ride by following these tips.
Make sure they’re licensed and check references.
Before you ride, check their business status online or call Dept of Revenue: 360.705.6744.
To operate legally in Washington:
- Limousine operators must be licensed and carry sufficient liability insurance.
- Limousines must have yearly safety inspections by the WA State Patrol or City of Seattle.
- Chauffeurs must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a valid driver license.
- Complete a chauffeur training course.
- Pass a State Patrol background check.
- Pass a medical exam.
- Participate in a random drug testing program.
Plan your trip.
Determine times for pickups and departures, type of vehicle, services offered, cost, and the number of passengers.
Check out the companies.
- Check online and by phone for the vehicles and services that match your plans.
- Ask for a detailed quote that includes all potential charges such as deposit, overtime, and tips.
- Make sure you understand the refund and cancellation policies.
Book your ride through the limousine company.
Please don’t hire a limousine on the street as you would a taxi. Rides must be booked through the limousine company, not at the vehicle.
Ask for a contract.
- Book early and get a written statement that includes:
- total costs,
- refund policy,
- tip policy,
- pick-up/drop off locations and times,
- specific vehicle,
- proof of insurance, and
- Dept of Licensing limousine decal number.
- If you make a payment, be sure to get a receipt.
- Consider inspecting the contracted vehicle.
A week before your ride, confirm your arrangements.
Get what you paid for.
- Inspect the vehicle and check amenities before entering the vehicle. If anything is different than expected, call the company immediately.
- Be a responsible passenger and follow the limousine company rules.
- Keep your receipts. If there were problems with your service: