Tips for hiring a limousine
Hiring a limousine can make a special event memorable and fun. Washington has many quality limousine companies to choose from, and you’ll get the most from your ride by following these tips.
Check references and make sure the company is licensed.
Before you ride, check the company’s business status online or call the Business Licensing Service at the Department of Revenue at 360.705.6744 to find out if the limousine company is licensed. To operate legally in Washington:
- Limousine operators in Washington must be licensed and carry sufficient liability insurance.
- Limousines must undergo annual safety inspections by the Washington State Patrol or City of Seattle.
- Chauffeurs must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Hold a valid driver license.
- Complete a chauffeur training course.
- Pass a State Patrol background check.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Participate in a random drug testing program.
Plan your trip.
Determine times for pickups and departures, type of vehicle, kind of services, price you’re willing to pay, and the number of passengers.
Check out the companies.
- Check online and by phone to match your plan to vehicles and services offered by different companies.
- Ask for a detailed price quote that includes all potential charges such as deposit, overtime, and tips.
- Make sure you understand the refund and cancellation policies.
Book your ride through the limousine company.
Please don’t hire a limousine on the street as you would a taxi. Rides must be booked through the limousine company, not at the vehicle.
Ask for a contract.
- Book early and get a written statement that includes total costs, deposit, refund and tip policies, pick-up/drop-off locations and times, specific vehicle, proof of insurance, and the Department of Licensing limousine decal number.
- If you make a payment, be sure to get a receipt.
- Consider inspecting the specific, contracted vehicle.
A week before your ride, confirm your arrangements.
Get what you paid for.
- Inspect the vehicle and check amenities before entering the vehicle. If anything is different than expected, call the company immediately.
- Be a responsible passenger and follow the limousine company rules.
- Keep your receipts. If there were problems with your service, contact us to file a complaint. You can get a Business Resources Complaint form online or by calling 360.705.6744.