How to get your license: Limousines
Due to facility issues, this licensing program has limited operations. There may be delays in responding to requests. We apologize for the inconvenience. We’re working toward resuming all business operations as soon as possible.
The applicant/licensee must comply with all applicable laws and rules, even if not covered below.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who transports passengers on a prearranged contract basis to a specific destination in these vehicle types:
||Passenger seating behind driver
||4 – 14
- Includes non–standard amenities, and
- Wheelbase is 285 inches or less
|Stretch sports utility vehicle (SUV)
||4 – 14
- Includes non–standard amenities or is altered beyond original manufacturer’s specifications, and
- Wheelbase is 325 inches or less
|Executive 4–door sedan
||3 or less
- Wheelbase is 114.5 inches or more
- Meets the federal large car (www.ecfr.gov) definition and has manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $35,000
||3 – 6
- Wheelbase is 116 inches or more
|Executive van or minivan
||7 – 14
- Must be a fine or distinctive automobile, and
- at least 30 years old
Note: All limousines must be chauffeur–driven, unmetered, and unmarked luxury vehicles.
If the following name requirements are not met, it will cause a delay in processing your application:
- The business application, the vehicle registration certificates, and the certificate of liability insurance document must include the entity name.
- A DBA is not required, but if it is included on the business application, then it must also be included on the vehicle registration certificates and the certificate of liability insurance document.
- The entity name (and DBA, if applicable) must be the same or very similar on all documents.
How to apply
Note: We issue this license, but it's processed by the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS). BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses issued by us as endorsements to the business license.
Apply online with the Department of Revenue
What you’ll need
- Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E–check to pay:
- Applicable BLS fees
- Limousine license, vehicle certificate, and inspection fees
- Inspection fee due only if vehicles were inspected by Washington State Patrol
Want to apply by mail?
- Complete or obtain the following:
- Mail the completed forms and supporting documents with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the BLS fees, the limousine license, vehicle certificate, and inspection fees (inspection fee is due only if vehicles were inspected by Washington State Patrol) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507–9034
Supporting documents for your application
- Limousine Carrier Chauffeur Addendum
- Vehicle inspection report for each limousine. Schedule inspections as soon as possible at:
- Vehicle registration certificates – Copy for each limousine with Use Class of ”F/H.” See a sample registration
- Certificate of liability insurance showing:
After you apply
After all correct documents have been received, we will send your license and vehicle certificates to the address on file within 14 business days.
Limousine carriers have important recordkeeping requirements for their business, vehicles, and chauffeurs. For more information, see Recordkeeping and business practices.
Questions? Need help?