How to get your private investigator agency license
Who needs a license?
You must have a private investigator agency license to operate a business that conducts investigations.
- All agency owners, partners, or qualifying agents must be:
- At least 18 years old, if applying for unarmed license.
- At least 21 years old, if applying for armed license.
- A United States citizen or resident alien.
- You must have:
How to apply
Submit all of the following:
- A completed Business License Application Supplemental for Private Investigator Agency/Principal License.
- The non-refundable application fee (check or money order payable to the Department of Revenue).
- 1 completed fingerprint card.
- Proof of 3 years’ investigative experience performed before applying for the license.
- If you don’t provide experience, the Business Licensing Service will schedule you for an examination within 3 weeks after receiving the paid application.
- A certificate of liability insurance with minimum coverage of $25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage.
A $10,000 Private Investigative Agency Surety Bond.
- If a corporation:
- A copy of your articles of incorporation.
A list of officers and departments, with their addresses.