How to get your license: Armed private investigator
Who needs a license?
Anyone who carries a firearm while on duty working for a licensed private investigative agency that:
- Provides investigation, escort, or bodyguard services.
- Performs property loss prevention activities.
To be licensed as an armed private investigator, you must:
- Be licensed as an unarmed private investigator or agency principal.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a current firearms certificate issued by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC). For a list of firearm instructors, visit the WSCJTC website.
How to apply
- Submit all of the following:
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.