How to become a certified trainer: Private investigators

Who needs a license?

You must have a certified trainer endorsement to provide pre-assignment training for unarmed private investigators.


All private investigator certified trainers must:

  • Be licensed as a private investigator agency principal, unarmed private investigator, or armed private investigator.
  • Have 3 years’ compensated investigative experience.
  • Pass an examination given by the Department of Licensing.

How to apply

Submit all of the following:

We’ll schedule an examination at the location you choose on the application within 3 weeks of receipt of your paid application.

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website