How to get your unarmed private investigator license

Who needs a license?

You must have a license to work for a licensed private investigator agency providing investigation, escort, or bodyguard services, or engaging in property loss prevention activities.


To be licensed as an unarmed private investigators, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
  • Be employed by, or have an employment offer from, a licensed private investigator company.
  • Have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety.
  • Complete the pre-assignment training requirements.

How to apply

Apply directly to the private investigator agency you wish to work for. To apply, submit all of the following:

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website