How to get your license: Unarmed private investigator
Who needs a license?
Anyone who works for a licensed private investigative agency that:
- Provides investigation, escort, or bodyguard services
- Performs property loss prevention activities.
To be licensed as an unarmed private investigator, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Be employed by, or have an employment offer from, a licensed private investigator company.
- Have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety.
- Complete the pre–assignment training requirements.
How to apply
- Submit all of the following:
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.