Assumed names: Real estate firms
Counter services are closed as of January 1, 2016.
- You can still mail applications and forms or use our online services where available.
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
- If you still have questions call 360.664.6500 or email RealEstate@dol.wa.gov.
Who needs a license?
If your firm uses assumed names, you must have an assumed name license for each location in addition to your firm license.
An assumed name for a real estate firm must:
- Be authorized by the designated broker
- Have the same Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number as the firm
- Be different than assumed names used by other licensed real estate firms
- Not imply the firm is a public agency or a government, nonprofit, or research organization
How to apply for a license
- Check to see if the name you want is available before submitting your application:
- Obtain assumed name approval from Real Estate Regulatory. The request must be submitted by the person who is endorsed as the Designated Broker of the firm. Send a brief cover letter with your name, contact information and desired assumed name by fax to 360.570.4982 or email to email@example.com. You will receive notification within a minimum of 5-7 business days.
- Complete the Real Estate Firm Assumed Name Application, following the instructions on the form.
- Submit your completed application with a check or money order for the fees (payable to the Department of Licensing):
How to renew
Assumed name licenses expire and are renewed with your firm license.
Questions? Need help?