How to get your license: Real estate brokers
Things to know
Counter services closed on January 1, 2016.
- You can still mail applications and forms or use our online services where available.
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
- If you still have questions call 360.664.6500 or email RealEstate@dol.wa.gov.
To qualify for a broker’s license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully complete 90 hours of approved real estate education within 2 years before applying for the exam. This education must include:
- A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
- A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
- Pass the broker’s exam.
For a list of approved real estate education, see the Real Estate Education Course Catalog.
How to apply for a license
- Complete the Real Estate License Application form.
- Submit your completed application with a check or money order for the fee, payable to the Department of Licensing, to:
Real Estate Licensing
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3917
Seattle, WA 98124-3917
- Submit fingerprints for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington:
- Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington:
- Call Real Estate Regulatory at 360.664.6484 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
If you have a license in another state:
- Request a certified license history from the real estate licensing agency in the state where you’re currently licensed.
- If you’ve had an active license in the previous 6 months, you’ll only be required to take the Washington State part of the licensing exam.
- If you qualify, we’ll waive the education requirements.
- Submit your license history, with a cover letter that includes your mailing address, by one of the following:
Your broker’s license will expire 2 years after it’s issued.
Questions? Need help?