How to get your license: Real estate brokers
To qualify for a broker’s license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully complete 90 hours of approved real estate education within 2 years before applying for the exam. This education must include:
- A 60-hour course in Real Estate Fundamentals.
- A 30-hour course in Real Estate Practices.
- Pass the broker’s exam.
For a list of approved real estate education, see the Real Estate Education Course Catalog.
How to apply for a license
If you passed the broker’s exam after June 30, 2010:
- Complete the Real Estate License Application, following the instructions on the form.
- Take the fingerprint card you received at the testing center to any fingerprinting service approved by the Washington State Patrol, and have your fingerprints taken. For details about getting your fingerprints taken, see Real Estate Fingerprinting Requirements and Tips.
- Each fingerprinting service sets its own fee, and you’ll be required to pay them when you get your fingerprints taken.
- Be sure to include your completed fingerprint card with your application. If your application doesn’t include a completed fingerprint card, it is incomplete and we can’t process it.
- Don’t fold the fingerprint card when you submit it, or your fingerprints will have to be retaken.
- Submit your completed application and fingerprint card with a check or money order for the fees (payable to the Department of Licensing):
If you have a license in another state:
- Request a certified license history from the real estate licensing agency in the state where you’re currently licensed.
- If you’ve had an active license in the previous 6 months, you’ll only be required to take the Washington State portion of the licensing exam.
- If you qualify, we’ll waive the education requirements.
- Submit your license history with a cover letter that includes your mailing address:
Your broker’s license will expire 2 years after it is issued.
Need more information?
|If you have questions about…
||Call us at…|
|Getting a license