Firm licenses: Real estate
Things to know
Counter services closed on January 1, 2016.
- You can still mail applications and forms or use our online services where available.
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
- If you still have questions call 360.664.6500 or email RealEstate@dol.wa.gov.
Who needs a license?
Any business that conducts real estate brokerage services must have a real estate firm license.
To qualify for a firm license, a real estate firm must appoint 1 managing broker as the designated broker who has controlling interest in the firm. “Controlling interest” means the designated broker has the ability to control the operational or financial decisions in the firm.
How to apply for a license
- Check to see if the name you want is available before submitting your application:
- Obtain firm name approval from Real Estate Regulatory. The request must be submitted by the person who will be endorsed as the Designated Broker of the firm. Send a brief cover letter with your name, contact information, desired firm name, and any doing business as (DBA) names by fax to 360.570.4982 or email to email@example.com. You will receive notification within a minimum of 5-7 business days.
- If we approve it, call the Secretary of State at 360.725.0377.
- File a business license application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue.
- Complete the Real Estate Firm Application, following the instructions on the form.
- You must include your UBI number on the application.
- Submit your completed application with a check or money order for the fees (payable to the Department of Licensing):
How to renew
Firm licenses expire 2 years after their issue date.
- Renew online, and pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit or debit card.
- Enter the password on your renewal notice and your firm’s information.
- When you’ve finished renewing online, print the final confirmation screen for your records.
- Renew by mail, by sending your renewal notice and a check or money order for the fees to the location shown on the renewal notice.
Branch offices and assumed names
If your firm uses an assumed name or operates branch offices, you must get an assumed name license and a branch office license for each location in addition to the firm license.
How to update your firm name or designated broker
- Complete a Real Estate Change of Firm Name or Add/Change DBA Name form.
- If you’re changing your firm name, adding or changing a DBA, check to see if the name you want is available before submitting your application:
- Obtain firm name approval from Real Estate Regulatory – You must first send a brief cover letter with your name, contact information, desired firm name, and any doing business as (DBA) names by fax to 360.570.4982 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive notification by email or phone in 1-5 business days.
- If we approve it, call the Secretary of State at 360.725.0377
- Send the completed form and any required documents to:
Real Estate Licensing
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9021
Olympia, WA 98507-9021
Questions? Need help?