How to get your license: Scrap metal processors
Who needs a license?
You must have a scrap metal processor license if you:
- Are in the business of buying or receiving non-vehicle scrap metal.
- Maintain a shredder or a hydraulic baler and shears to process scrap metal at a fixed location.
This license doesn’t allow handling scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. If you process scrap metal from vehicles, you’ll need a vehicle vehicle scrap processor license instead.
How to apply
- Complete a Scrap Metal License Addendum
- Complete all the following forms:
- Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.
License your locations and vehicles
- Each business location must be registered separately.
- Vehicles used to conduct business must have scrap metal business license plates.
- Licenses are valid for 1 year. Your scrap metal processor license will expire the same day as your business license. We may need to adjust your initial license fees so the expiration date on your license matches the dates on your other business licenses.
- Special license plates issued to your business expire on the same date as your business license.
Questions? Need help?