How to get your license: Scrap metal supplier

Who needs a license?

Any business that:

  • Buys or receives non–vehicle scrap metal so you can sell it to another scrap metal business
  • and
  • Doesn’t have a fixed business location.
  • This license doesn’t allow handling scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. If you process scrap metal from vehicles, you’ll need a vehicle motor vehicle salvage processor license instead.
  • Vehicles used to conduct business must have scrap metal business license plates.

Expiration dates

  • Licenses are valid for 1 year. Your scrap metal supplier license will expire the same day as your business license. We may adjust your initial license fees so the expiration date for your scrap metal supplier license matches the expiration date of your business license.
  • Special license plates issued to your business expire on the same date as your business license.

How to apply

Note: We issue this license, but it's processed by the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS). BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses issued by us as endorsements to the business license.

Apply online with the Department of Revenue

What you’ll need

  • Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload.
  • Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E–check to pay:

Want to apply by mail?

  1.  Complete or get the following:
  2. Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the applicable BLS fees and scrap metal supplier license and plate fees to:
    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507–9034

Supporting documents for your application

Complete all of the following:

Related information

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website