How to get your armed private security guard license

Who needs a license?

If you carry a firearm while on duty working for a licensed private security guard company, you must have an armed private security guard license.


To be licensed as an armed private security guard, you must:

  • Be licensed as an unarmed private security guard.
  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Have a current firearms certificate issued by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC). For a list of firearm instructors, visit the WSCJTC website.

How to apply

Apply directly to the security guard company you wish to work for. To apply, submit all of the following:

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website