How to get your private security guard company license
Who needs a license?
Any business that provides security guard services on contract.
- All company owners, partners or qualifying agents must be:
- At least 21 years old
- A United States citizen or resident alien
- You must have:
- No criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private security guard and/or hinders public safety. (See Recommended sanctions for details about criminal convictions)
- A physical location of the business within Washington
- A valid business license with the Department of Revenue
How to apply
- Submit all of the following:
- A completed Private Security Guard Company/Qualifying Principal License Application
- The non-refundable application fee
- Proof of 3 years of experience as a manager, supervisor, or administrator in a security guard business or related field. An examination will be scheduled within 3 weeks of receipt of a paid application if no experience is provided.
- A certificate of liability insurance with minimum coverage of $25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage.
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.