How to get your license: Body piercing artists
Who needs a license
You must have a body piercing artist license if you charge a fee to penetrate the skin or mucous membrane to insert an object, such as jewelry, for cosmetic purposes. This doesn’t include stud-and-clasp ear piercing or health-related procedures performed by a licensed health care worker.
To get a body piercing artist license, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a current bloodborne pathogens certificate. To learn where you can get this training, see Training resources.
How to apply
- Complete a Body Art, Body Piercing, Tattoo Artist, Permanent Cosmetics License, Renewal, or Reinstatement Application.
- Mail your application to the address on the form. Be sure to include all of the following:
- Completed application form.
- Any necessary supporting documents.
- Check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).
How long your license is valid
Your license is valid for 1 year after we issue it.