How to get your license: Shops, mobile units, and event locations
Who needs a license?
Every shop or mobile unit that provides tattooing, body art, or body piercing must have a license. Conventions or events in Washington State must have an event license and meet the same requirements as shops and mobile units.
To get a shop, mobile unit, or event license, your business must:
- Have an outside entrance separate from any rooms used for sleeping or residential purposes.
- Have adequate toilet facilities for the use of customers located in or adjacent to the shop or business.
- Not use any room, except toilet facilities, for both residential and business purposes.
- Meet the zoning requirements of the county, city, or town where the business is located.
- Provide for safe storage and labeling of all equipment and substances.
- Meet local and state fire codes.
- Have at least $100,000 in public liability insurance for combined bodily injury and property damage.
- Be registered with the Department of Revenue. You automatically register with the Department of Revenue when you file a Business License Application to get a business license.
How to apply
- Complete a Body Art, Body Piercing, and Tattoo Shop, Mobile Unit, or Event Location Application.
- Mail your application to the address on the form. Be sure to include all of the following:
- Completed application form.
- Any necessary supporting documents.
- Check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing).
How long your license is valid
Your license will expire 1 year after it is issued, or when your business liability insurance expires, whichever comes first.
All shops, mobile units, and events must meet all: