How to get your license: Taxis and For Hire
Who needs a license?
Any individual or business that transports people for a fee in for-hire vehicles, such as:
||Transports people for a fee and doesn’t have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
||Transports people who:
People who are transported by cabulance must:
- are confined to a wheelchair, or
- are physically restricted – they can’t be safely transported by public transportation, taxicabs or automobiles.
- be stable,
- not be incapacitated from medications, or
- not need oxygen or medical attention while en route.
|And any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment unless noted below.
You don’t need a license if you…
- Provide free transportation to and from parking lots, hotels, and rental offices
- Drive school buses exclusively under contract with a school district
- Drive ride-sharing vehicles
- Are licensed through Utilities and Transportation Commission to:
- Have a specialty license through us (DOL) to act as a limousine carrier
Before you apply have these documents ready
- Complete these forms:
- Vehicle registration certificates* – Copy for each taxi with Use Class of ’F/H’ or ’CAB’. See sample registration.
- Certificate of liability insurance* – It must show:
- Insurance company name – approved to do business in WA
- Policy number
- Name of insured (owner name) and operating name (DBA/trade name)
- Coverage effective and expire dates
- $325,000 – minimum combined single limit coverage or $300,000/$100,000/$25,000 – split limit coverage
- Year, make and VIN of each car – VIN must match the registration
- Certificate holder box shows – State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98507-9039
- Fee – Check/money order payable to Department of Revenue.
*Your application may be delayed if the business owner and DBA/trade names are not the same, or very similar, on all the documents.
Apply for your license
Mail all documents and fees (check/money order payable to Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
You’ll get your license and vehicle certificates within 3 weeks.
Sample of completed forms
Questions? Need help?