How to get your license: Registered tow truck operator (RTTO)
Who needs a license?
You do, if your business:
- Transports, impounds, or stores unauthorized vehicles.
- Disposes of abandoned vehicles.
To get a license, you must have:
- $5,000 bond (You can get bonds through insurance companies. You may want to research the cost of your bond before you apply for a license).
- The principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name.
- Bond must be signed by the applicant and the attorney-in-fact for the bonding company.
- Driver list: Names and addresses of all employees who’ll drive a tow truck.
- $100,000 liability for bodily injury or property damage.
- $50,000 garage keepers and $50,000 on hook or cargo, for liability against damage to vehicles while they’re in your custody.
- A facilities and equipment inspection
- Before you submit your application, have all your business facilities and equipment inspected by Washington State Patrol .
- Submit the inspection report with your application.
- These forms:
Tow truck requirements
Each tow truck must have a valid permit.
How to apply
- Mail all application materials with a check or money order for the fees (payable to Department of Revenue):
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
- Once all your paperwork is received and correct, we’ll issue your license in 3–4 weeks.
Note: Remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your application. Contact our office, in writing, if your address changes.