How to get your license: Manufactured home/travel trailer dealer

Who needs a license?

Businesses must have a manufactured home/travel trailer dealer license to sell the following new or used items at wholesale or retail:

  • Non-motorized mobile homes
  • Manufactured homes
  • Park trailers
  • Travel trailers

If you don’t have a dealer license, it’s illegal to:

  • Sell more than 4 mobile homes, manufactured homes, or trailers registered to you in any 12 months.
  • Buy and sell mobile homes, manufactured homes, or trailers for the purpose of making a profit.
  • Sell any number of mobile homes, manufactured homes, or trailers that aren’t registered to you.

Business site requirements

Your business site must:

  • Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
  • Be located at a commercial property with an enclosed building.
  • Have an exterior sign that is permanently affixed to the land or building with the business name and the type of business (such as auto sales).
  • Have an operating telecommunications system and a phone number listed in directory assistance.
  • Be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., five days per week. These hours are referred to as “normal business hours.” Additional hours and days of operation may be added at your discretion. You must prominently post the hours of operation at the main entrance doors.
  • Have an area to maintain books, records, and files at the business site. If 2 or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.

Licensing requirements

To get a license, you must have all of the following:

  1. $30,000 bond. Bonds are available through many insurance companies. We recommend you research the cost of your bond before you apply for a license.
  2. Copy of your property tax statement or the rental/lease agreement for the business site as proof of ownership.
  3. The following completed forms:

How to apply

Mail all of the application materials listed above with a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

It’s a good idea to use the Dealer Checklist to make sure you’ve included everything in your application.

Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website