How to get your license: Miscellaneous vehicle dealer sub–agency
The applicant/licensee must comply with all applicable laws and rules, even if not covered below.
Who needs a license?
Each additional business location after the first, primary miscellaneous vehicle dealer business has been licensed.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located at a commercial property with an enclosed building.
- Have an exterior sign that is permanently affixed to the land or building with the business name and the type of business (such as auto sales).
- Have an operating telecommunications system and a phone number listed in directory assistance. A mobile number is acceptable as long as it is listed in directory assistance.
- Be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., five days per week. These hours are referred to as “normal business hours.” Additional hours and days of operation may be added at your discretion. You must prominently post the hours of operation at the main entrance doors.
- Have an area to maintain books, records, and files at the business site. If 2 or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
All retail vehicle dealers are required to use the E–Permitting system. Find out more about E–Permitting.
How to apply
Note: We issue this license, but it's processed by the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS). BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses issued by us as endorsements to the business license.
Apply online with the Department of Revenue
What you’ll need
- Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload.
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E–check to pay:
Want to apply by mail?
- Complete or get the following:
- Mail the completed forms and supporting documents with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the BLS fees and the vehicle dealer sub–agency license and plate fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507–9034
Supporting documents for your application
- $5,000 bond — Provide Vehicle, Vessel Dealer Business Bond or form from bonding company.
- Bonds are available through insurance companies.
- The principal name must be exactly the same as both the business owner and business firm name.
- Bond must be signed by the applicant and the attorney–in–fact for the bonding company.
- Vehicle Dealer E–Permit Online Access Application
- Copy of your property tax statement or the rental/lease agreement for the business site as proof of ownership.
Post your license
You must post a license at each location where you operate. You may not begin this business activity until you receive the required license.
To get a Temporary Vehicle Dealer Sub–agency permit, submit a Dealer Temporary Sub–Agency License Application or apply online with the Department of Revenue.
Questions? Need help?