How to get your license: Vehicle sub-agency
Who needs a license?
You must have a motor vehicle sub-agency license for each additional business location after the first, primary motor vehicle dealer business has been licensed.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located at a commercial property with an enclosed building.
- Have a permanent sign with the business name and the type of business (such as auto sales).
- Have an operating telecommunications system and a phone number listed in directory assistance.
- Be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., five days per week. These hours are referred to as “normal business hours.” Additional hours and days of operation may be added at your discretion. You must prominently post the hours of operation at the main entrance doors.
- Have an area to maintain books, records, and files at the business site. If 2 or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
To get a license, you must have all of the following:
- $30,000 bond. Bonds are available through many insurance companies. We recommend you research the cost of your bond before you apply for a license.
- Copy of your property tax statement or the rental/lease agreement for the business site as proof of ownership. The rental/lease agreement must be valid for at least 1 year.
- The following completed forms:
How to apply
Mail all of the application materials listed above with a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.
To obtain Temporary Vehicle Dealer Sub-agency permits, contact Dealer Services at 360.664.6466.