You must have a separate Vessel Dealer license for each business location unless you sell human-powered watercraft that is:
- Under 16 feet in length.
- Unable to be powered by a motor or the wind.
- Not designed for use on commonly-used navigable waters.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
- Be located in an office in an enclosed building where you can conduct business and maintain records.
- Have an exterior sign with the business name and the type of business, such as marine sales.
To get a license, you must have all of the following:
- A $5,000 surety bond for each business location.
- If you sell 15 or fewer vessels per year with a retail value of no more than $2,000, you don’t need a surety bond.
- The following completed forms:
- Business License Application
- Vehicle Dealer/Manufacturer Addendum
- Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Bond
- A separate Personal Criminal History Statement for each owner, partner, corporate officer, and member of the business.
- If you’re requesting exemption from the bonding requirement, Vessel Bond Exemption Certification.
- If the business is a Profit Corporation, Corporate Information.
- If the business is a Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Company Information
How to apply
Mail all of the application materials listed above with a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.