How to get your license: Vessel dealer

Who needs a license?

You must have a separate Vessel Dealer license for each business location unless you sell human-powered watercraft that is:

  • Under 16 feet in length.
  • Unable to be powered by a motor or the wind.
  • and
  • Not designed for use on commonly-used navigable waters.

Business site requirements

Your business site must:

  • Comply with all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use ordinances. For more information, please contact your city or county directly.
  • Be located in an office in an enclosed building where you can conduct business and maintain records.
  • Have an exterior sign with the business name and the type of business, such as marine sales.

Licensing requirements

To get a license, you must have all of the following:

  1. A $5,000 surety bond for each business location.
    • If you sell 15 or fewer vessels per year with a retail value of no more than $2,000, you don’t need a surety bond.
  2. The following completed forms:
  3. Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Business Bond
  4. A separate Personal Criminal History Statement for each owner, partner, corporate officer, and member of the business.
  5. If you’re requesting exemption from the bonding requirement, Vessel Bond Exemption Certification.

How to apply

Mail all of the application materials listed above with a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website